Monday, December 15, 2008

A little pretty...and a little not so pretty!

I know, I know...it's been over a month since I've updated this thing! I've read your e-mails! LOL! It's just such a busy time of year and yes... as a couple of you so eloquently put it...I was being a slacker as far as the blogging goes. But, I haven't really been slacking... In addition to working and all of the getting ready for Christmas hullaballoo - I've been doing some design work with pretty tight deadlines. Unfortunately I can't share photos of any of that fun stuff, but you will get to see everything later on! ;o)

Anyway, I'm back tonight with a little pretty and a little not so pretty to share!

First, for the pretty... Here are some pics (above)of a Christmas stocking I made for Kyler's girlfriend, Lauren. I wanted to have a stocking here for her and it needed to be sweet and pretty, so I got busy with the hot-glue gun and for the first time ever in this house full of guys we have a girly-girl Christmas stocking hanging from the fireplace!! :o)

Now for the not so pretty...

These, believe it or not, despite their Halloween-ish appearance are the first batch of Cantrell Christmas Cookies baked this year! I needed to make at least three dozen sugar cookies for school and my husband decided we would do them together and we would roll them out and use cookie cutters. Now, I wasn't planning on the whole Cookie cutter thing at all, as I was going for speed that night, rather than technique.

I was first thrown off by the fact that he wanted to do these with me. This isn't something he's ever shown an interest in doing before. But ok, what ever it will be fun, in a "7th Heaven" kind of way. I put him in charge of both the rolling of the dough and cookie cutter cutting - since HE was so adamant that we do them this way. Now, they looked fine before we baked them. But after baking - not so much! What were supposed to be Christmas Bells looked like really bad circles and the Christmas Trees looked like...honestly I don't even know what the trees looked like! They were basically just long unidentifiable shapes! So, in order to get 3 dozen that were presentable, we had to bake a WHOLE LOT more than planned, which pretty much ruined my whole speedy idea!

When it was time to frost these little buggers, Bobby Flay decided I would be better suited for the job, BUT he wanted to play with the food coloring & frosting. So... I let him make the CHRISTMAS colored frosting's. I did not watch him do this, nor did I give the man any kind of instructions before hand. (my bad!) I did not think I needed to. I mean a 45 year old man knows what Christmas colors are...right??

As you can see we ended up with a very nice Christmas orange, Christmas Pink and Go-light Green! We literally spent hours making these and this is what we ended up with. :o/ On a positive note... we're still laughing about the whole thing today and they were pretty tasty!

5 comments:

Sheila Rumney said...

I just have to laugh, as we too have ended up with less than pretty frosted sugar cookies in the past! Have a wonderful Christmas... so glad to see you posting again.

Anonymous said...

Yeah!! you're back!! You can always make me laugh, no matter how bad of a day I am having. Thanks for sharing!!
corie

Anonymous said...

Who knew Kyle was into the 'not-so-traditional' christmas colors? You watch... next year, all the rage will be Grinch Green, Oh-la-la Orange and Poppin' Pink... ;o)

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

I am laughing SO hard and congrats on the girlie stocking :)

Kara Ward said...

I miss you but know you are super busy. Such a cute stocking. You are a good Mom to a teenage son. I hope he realizes how cool you are to include the girlfriend. Happy New Year! Kara