Approximately 7 feet worth of reasons as to WHY I need to get sewing!
If you've followed my blog, even for just a little bit over the past few months you probably already know that I just recently started sewing. I still have a lot to learn, but I'm having fun playing around while learning at the same time.
Now I've had my own sewing machine for years. It was a Christmas gift from my parents way, way back when our boys were little. I made pillows and holiday vests for myself AND the boys for a while after getting it. (Oh how they would rather die than wear something like a cute little holiday vest now! HA! HA!)
As I've mentioned here before many times my mom is very, very talented and artistic. There is honestly not much out there that she hasn't done and done extremely well. When I was little she made pretty much all of my clothes. She was still making clothes for me when I was in Junior High. She even made my Homecoming and Prom Dresses in High School! She has been sewing since before I came along! Well, she recently decided to de-stash a lot of her fabric...by giving it to me! Fourteen big garbage bags of fabric! Yes, FOURTEEN!!
I've had the fabric for a couple of weeks now and I finally had a chance today to spend time getting it all out of the bags and organized. So fun!
This book case was once in one of the boy's bedroom, but had found it's way to the garage eventually. It was just waiting for for another reason to be used and as soon as I came home with all of this fabric I knew exactly what I was going to do with it. It's now in my smaller scraproom looking just as cute as can be! This thing is HUGE, I mean it's approx. 7' tall and the shelves are pretty wide. I wasn't able to get the top or the last two shelves in the photo, but you can get a pretty good idea here of just how big it is and how much fabric is now filling it up! Most of the shelves are two stacks of fabric deep, so you can't even see the stacks in the back row on each shelf. IT'S JUST A PLAIN CRAZY AMOUNT OF FABRIC I tell you! I'm going to have to learn how to make more than Aprons and pillows and that's just all there is to it! I've started a "Projects I Want To Try" bucket list just for sewing.
Now, as if all of this beautiful fabric being given to me by my mom wasn't enough to just tickle me to pieces, she sent me home the other day with a big box full of some of her antique buttons! (see below) And again, if you've followed my blog at all you must know that I love, love, love buttons! Among many things, she's collected antique buttons over the years and she's just started to go through them to decide which ones she wants to keep and which ones she wants to go ahead and pass down to me. I love buttons and I love using buttons, but I really, really love having buttons that were my moms! These are extra special for sure! 



So, now that all of this fabulous fabric has found a new home here with me, don't be surprised if my scrapbooking blog starts having more and more sewing projects shared here. Actually, please cross you fingers for me that it does! ;o)






















3 comments:
Mel-
This is dreamy heaven.....I need a sew date and some organization help. You are a whiz. That Halloween apron...wowzie! The pumpkin is such a perfect additon. Love it!!!!
I see some quilts in your future!
I just came across your blog. Seeing all that old crafting fabric really made me think back a several years (before scrapbooking)when I use to do craft shows. I saw lots of fabric that I used a one time or another. I did not save fabric like I do paper. Thanks for giving me a little peek in to the past.
Post a Comment