Saturday, November 7, 2009

It should be a Cornucopia, but it's not!

This is my latest little project. Putting aside the fact that we are having a really beautiful Fall here right now, especially this weekend... sunny and in the 70's! This is still what I was working on last night. I'm going to a Stamping Get Together with a friend tomorrow and needed to make everyone a little something. I made Christmas tags for everyone. They can be used for what ever they want to use them for... scrapbooking or added to the front of a little card maybe.

I decided to use mine in a little Christmas Collage. I was making the tags last night and didn't come up with the collage idea until around 10:00 P.M., so I had to go searching through the house for an unused frame. I found a really old and inexpensive brown stained frame in a drawer. Hmmm... not the color I had in mind. I was thinking "Shabby Chic". So what does one do at approx. 10:00 P.M. on a Friday night with a brown stained frame that isn't at all shabby chic looking and they have a shabby chic looking frame in their head?? They go searching through their craft supplies for paint! Isn't it amazing how long paint will last with those lids on tight?! ;o) I seriously can't even guess how old the paint I found to use is, but it's still good! So I painted the old brown wooden frame a mixture of two different paint colors to get the kind of old white color I wanted.

For the collage I did get into a tiny bit of my new fabric stash, but I didn't sew a bloomin' thing. I cut little patches from 4 different fabrics and adhered them to my collage base using "Wonder Under". LOVE that stuff! I also dipped into my antique buttons for this project. When I was finished I wanted to add a big bow. I have a huge stash of ribbon, but I wanted to really match the fabric as close as possible, so I used the actual fabric and Wonder Under to make a fabric ribbon, and tied it into a bow for the top of my frame! No sewing involved at all. I think this is how a true-scrappy-girl does it! ;o)

When I was all finished, I stood back and looked at it for a bit and quickly decided that I wasn't really finished. ;o) ( I do this a lot!) The frame was just too there, too clean looking. It needed something...it needed to be shabbied-up. I didn't want to sand it or mud it, so again, on a search through my supplies I went and this time I found a little stash of doilies that I have and haven't done a thing with. Hmmm. A few snips of a doily, a few drops of craft glue to adhere it to my frame and Whooo-la one Shabby Chic Christmas Collage is finished!


2 comments:

Sasha Holloway said...

I think it si fabulous .. LOVE It .. now I see your have jewelry .. so do you ship to APO/FPO addresses .. as well .. I will be moving again soon .. and might have to stop by love your pieces

Keely Livings said...

Gorgeous project, Melanie!