Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Thinking pink...

I've been "thinking pink" lately. My mom will be celebrating her 15-year Breast Cancer Free anniversary next month! She was given horrible odds of ever seeing a five-year cancer free anniversary. She not only beat the odds she was given...she whipped them! ;o) My family has been very blessed...twice! This month, my younger brother will celebrate his FIVE YEAR Cancer Free Anniversary! While I'm greatful every single day to have my mom and my brother healthy, not everyone is as lucky. I wish they were!

Some of the girls from my recipe class have a very special friend of theirs who has been fighting the breast cancer fight for years and years. She is a young wife and a mother of young children. She is currently going through a very hard time as the cancer is back yet again and it's very, very serious. Hearing their stories of the wonderful support and friendship they give her is so touching. Hearing about the fight this young woman is facing and has faced for so many years is gut-wrenching. When their friend recently decided to shave what little hair she had left off, as so much was falling out....her friends were right there for her. I mean really there for her. Last month two of her wonderful friends who come to my classes each month showed up at class with their hair also gone. These two and another friend who usually comes to my classes each month went with their friend to the hair salon. As a truly amazing show of friendship, support and love... when their dear friend shaved her head...so did they! What they did, was truly beautiful and guess what...they looked absolutely beautiful!

I made the card above late last night...just because I had been thinking about my mom, my friends from class and their friend. I did a search on Etsy to see if there were any Breast Cancer Awareness items there. Is there ever - pages and pages! I added my card to my shop this morning.

3 comments:

Creative Junkie said...

your card is wonderful and it's so uplifting to hear about survivor stories such as your mom's! And the support of friends like those you mentioned ... nothing beats that.

Heather said...

Beautiful card. Thank you for sharing about your mom and brother. It's wonderful to hear of people beating it. Our pastor is currently battling lymphoma.

Suz said...

Beautiful items. That is wonderful about your mom. It's an inspiration to hear others who have gone thru the treatments and come out the other end. My mom is 12 years breast cancer free and I'm still working on becoming breast cancer free - having treatments.....